Bachelor of Science in Engineering (B.S.E.)
Engineering graduates from this program are focused individuals with specific career goals that are not met by the traditional engineering majors offered at Grand Valley. Students can focus their studies in engineering fields that cut across the traditional engineering majors as well as encompassing other disciplines offered at GVSU. Emphases are offered in Engineering Management, Data Sciences Engineering and Biomedical Engineering and customized programs to meet students' needs. Students can choose from fields that emphasize emerging technologies such as nanotechnology, advanced materials, and alternative and renewable energies.
Students are prepared for engineering careers and leadership roles through B.S.E. and M.S.E programs that integrate academic studies with hands-on learning and paid professional experiences in actual engineering companies.
An interdisciplinary engineering degree involves coursework in:
- Cooperative education
- Courses for a customized major
- Digital systems
- Materials science
A few career options for interdisciplinary engineering:
- Alternative and renewable energy engineer
- Biomedical engineer
- Industrial engineer
- Materials engineer
- Microelectronic engineer
- Robotics engineer
- Systems engineer
Why Study Engineering at Grand Valley?
- Program accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, abet.org/.
- Personal attention in small classes and extensive hands-on and project-based learning in our student-focused, state-of-the-art teaching, laboratory, and project facilities.
- Study/work abroad available.
- Three semesters of paid cooperative-education work experience prior to graduation in recognized domestic and international engineering companies.
- Biomedical (mechanical and electrical), engineering management and data sciences engineering emphases available as well as customized study plans.
- Tremendous support from our industrial partners who fund many engineering scholarships for graduate and undergraduate students.
- A nearly 100-percent placement rate into work or graduate school for our graduates.
- A combined bachelor's/master's program that allows high-achieving students to complete both the B.S.E. and the M.S.E. in as little as five calendar years.
For More Information
School of Engineering
“IE provided me the flexibility to take courses that aligned with my career goals.”
IE major with Premed emphasis