Ride a Bike
Riding a bike for 1 hour burns 272 calories!
May is National Bike Month!
Active Commute Week is May 14-18, 2018
National Bike to Work Day is Friday, May 18, 2018
BIKES at GVSU:
COMPRESSED AIR LOCATIONS:
Free, self-serve compressed air on campus:
- CON (Connections off lot P) - East side of bldg. near bike racks
- SUB (South Utility Building off Lot N) - North side of bldg
- Grand Rapids bike racks and bike repair stations
SHOWER LOCATIONS ON CAMPUS:
There are a few options if you plan to commute to work or school via bicycle or walking/running and need a place to clean up before heading to the office or the classroom.
- Rec Center (Students/Faculty/Staff)
Grand Rapids Pew Campus:
- Seidman Center - 1st floor (Students/Faculty/Staff)
- Winter Hall Fitness Center (Faculty/Staff/Pew Housing Residents ONLY) Faculty/Staff: Click here to request an access card for the Winter Hall Fitness Center; Pew Housing Residents: access is on your room card - contact Apartment Director for access if your card is not working.
COMMUTING BY BICYCLE:
BEFORE YOU RIDE:
ABC Quick Check
(courtesy of League of Michigan Bicyclists 2009 Michigan Ride Calendar)
A is for Air
Inflate tires to rated pressure listed on sidewall of tire Use a tire gauge to insure proper tire pressure Check for damage to tread and sidewall; replace damaged tire
B is for Brakes Inspect brake pads for wear; replace if less than 1/4" remains Check pad adjustment; make sure they do not rub tire or "dive" into spokes Check brake-lever "travel"; with brakes applied, you need at least 1" between the lever and handlebar
C is for Cranks, Chain and Cassette Make sure crank bolts are tight; lube only the threads, nothing else Check chain for wear; 12 links should measure no more than 12-1/8" long If chain skips on freewheel or cassette, you may need an adjustment or new chain and freewheel/cassette
Quick is for Quick Releases Wheels hubs need to be tight in the bike frame; your hub quick release should engage at 90 degrees Hub quick releases should point to the back of the bike to ensure they don't catch on anything (releasing the wheel) Inspect brake quick releases to ensure that brake cables have been re-engaged
Check it Over Take a quick ride to ensure derailleurs and brakes are working properly
- Campus Recreation - Walking/Bike Trails
- Grand Rapids Parks & Recreation Dept
- Kent Trails - 15 mile, Non-Motorized Trail System in Kent County
- Michigan Regional Bike Maps
- Michigan Trails & Greenways Alliance
- Musketawa Trail
- Ottawa County Parks
- West Michigan Trails & Greenway Coalition
- White Pine Trail
All laws which pertain to drivers of motor vehicles, pertain to bicyclists. Obey all traffic control devices: stop signs, traffic signals, and one-way streets, etc. (from brochure "Michigan Biking Information 2009", prepared/distributed by Michigan Department of Transportation)
- GVSU bicycle safety tips
- Ride as far to the right as practicable.
- Helmet use is highly recommended.
- Wear high-visibility clothing.
- Ride with traffic.
- Don't weave between parked cars.
- Make sure your bicycle is adjusted properly.
- Always check your brakes before riding.
- Always lock up your bicycle. Check out GVSU's Borrow a Bike Lock program.
- Use proper hand-signals for turning and stopping.
- For more safety information, go to Michigan.gov
LOCAL BICYCLE SHOPS/PARTS:
Many of these local vendors offer discounts to GVSU students/staff:
- League of Michigan Bicyclists Event Schedule
- Michigan Mountain Biking Association Event Schedule
- West Michigan Active Commute Week - May
- Planned US 35 Bike Route Would Go Through Muskegon (MLive, 5/31/10)
- Metro Grand Rapids shows its Greenways (RapidGrowth, 5/20/10)
- Nate Phelps Blazes His Own Trail in Grand Rapids (RapidGrowth, 5/20/10)
- Mountain bike park planned for former Southwest Little League site in Grand Rapids (10/25/09)
- Muskegon city bike trails, Musketawa Trail, Lakeshore Trail soon to connect (8/27/08)
- What Every Michigan Bicyclist Must Know