Cell and Molecular Biology
Master of Science (M.S.)
Professional Science Masters in Biotechnology or Thesis based options. Cell and molecular biology (CMB) is for students with a passion for the life sciences. It is focused on determining how cells develop and function and the significance of those functions in the living organism. CMB is the basis for such applied fields as biotechnology, pharmacology, and biomedicine. Our program prepares students for employment in life sciences or for doctoral-level or professional (medical, M.D./Ph.D.) programs.
The Professional Science Masters (PSM) in biotechnology offers a series of high-impact life science courses as well as training in biostatistics and bioinformatics. The PSM program also includes training in scientific communication, ethics and professionalism in science as well as such business-related skills as project management and business plans. An internship serves as the culminating experience. The thesis-based (research emphasis) track focuses on an intensive, 15-18 month research project which results in a publishable thesis. Students work closely with a research mentor and are expected to present the results of their research at a professional conference.
Students study a variety of topics, including:
- Scientific communication
- Ethics and professionalism in science
- DNA/RNA manipulation
- Cell culture and bioprocessing
- Responsible conduct of research
Deadline for fall semester is May 1, international and April 1, domestic. Winter semester deadline is September 1, international and November 1, domestic. The $30 application fee is waived for undergraduate alumni. Visit gvsu.edu/gradapply/.
CMB prepares students for careers in:
- Life science research
- Intellectual property law
Why Study Cmb at Grand Valley?
- Located within a region quickly developing into an important center for biotechnology research, industry, and education.
- Rewarding internships are available at the Van Andel Research Institute, Michigan State College of Human Medicine, Spectrum Health Research Labs, Walter's Greenhouses, and other area organizations.
- Faculty members are actively engaged in research, much of it carried out with students.
- Laboratories provide students with experience using state-of-the-art equipment.
- The interdisciplinary core program of the PSM provides students with a cross-disciplinary perspective not possible within a single major.
- The PSM program provides students with a practical and applied curriculum closely tied to the scientific workforce needs of business and industry and includes internship experience.